Sometimes it just takes a hands on experience for the light bulb to turn on. Other times its just a head-scratcher. Remember my BS 03/2011 #137 muslin? I did nothing to the CB, cut on fold, and this is what it looked like.
Then for the Burdastyle Sew-A-Long, I cut the same pattern, in a dark purple knit. I added the Center Back Seam and made a Sway Back Adjustment as explained by the Slapdash Sewist. As she explained it, it made sense: fold out where your sway back is, and this throws off the grain below the adjustment causing it to drape around the curve and it shortens the CB length. This is what it looks like.
Don’t they look the freaking same?? The purple one has less “puddle” but now what? Fold out more? Do I just have a freakishly huge sway back? Nothing in my research suggested a different alteration for knit than woven fabric, but maybe its that?Any ideas ladies? I am stumped.
Anyway, here is the front of the tunic, which I do love this tunic and wanted to wear it with my new Laura leggings, but I have misplaced them already. Hard to believe right? I took 1/2″ ease at CF and 1/2″ when I added the CB seam so its a snugger fit overall, so it doesn’t slide down my shoulders this time. I also doubled the height of the neckband and only tacked it down at CB to conceal the seam leaving the raw edge loose for best draping effect. This is a great addition to my winter wardrobe and it took less than 3 hours to cut and sew. I like this pattern because it has “true” raglan sleeves aka has a shoulder shaping dart in the sleeve head and it is not a sack. I will make it again sometime, but I think I need some ease in the hips to get rid of the fit and flare look since that wasn’t in the pattern.
P.S. I really just want to have a whine fest about how hard fitting a stupid t-shirt is. Sigh…